This table lists the name of each medieval Church and the Deanery in which it was located pre-1914, the period likely to be of most interest to family historians: for the most part the situation remains the same to this day.  Rural civil parishes usually match the medieval ecclesiastical parish: this is especially true in Suffolk. 

The ecclesiastical Deaneries of the "Archdeaconry of Suffolk" (which in fact comprises only the eastern part of the County) have changed little since 1119.  Until around 1914, most of what is now our area fell within Orford Deanery or (on the coast in the north) Dunwich Deanery, whilst a handful of churches were/are in each of the surrounding deaneries of Hoxne (inland to the north), Loes (west) and Wilford (south).  Visit http://suffolkfhs.co.uk/index.php/information/suffolk-parishes for fuller information on the Parishes and Deaneries of the whole county.  Parish Register transcripts are often published by Deanery area.

If you also have an interest in the history and architecture of old churches, then visit the excellent Suffolk Churches website.

Of course the following list excludes the many non-conformist Chapels, Roman Catholic Churches and other religions' Places of Worship, which bear no relationship to the civil organisational structures.

 

ALDE VALLEY       pre-1914  Deaneries
CHURCH OF ENGLAND CHURCHES   Orford/ other
          /Dunwich  
Aldeburgh, St Peter & St Paul   O  
Aldringham cum Thorpe, St Andrew   D  
Badingham, St John the Baptist     Hoxne
Benhall, St Mary   O  
Blaxhall, St Peter   O  
Boyton, St Andrew (with Capel St Andrew)     Wilford
Bruisyard, St Peter   O  
Butley, St John the Baptist     Wilford
Buxlow, St Peter (until 1722: then to "Knoddishall")   D  
Campsea Ashe, St John the Baptist     Loes
Capel St Andrew (see Boyton)     Wilford
Carlton, St Peter   D  
Chillesford, St Peter   O  
Cransford, St Peter   O  
Darsham, All Saints   D  
Dennington, St Mary     Hoxne
Dunningworth, St Mary (see Tunstall)   [lost  village]
Dunwich, All Saints  ⚓︎   D  
Dunwich, St James  ⚓︎   D  
Dunwich, St Peter    ⚓︎   D  
Eyke, All Saints     Loes
Farnham, St Mary   O  
Fordley (see Middleton)   D  
Framlingham, St Michael     Loes
Friston, St Mary   O  
Gedgrave (see Orford)   O  
Gt Glemham, All Saints   O  
Havergate Island (see Orford)   O  
Hazlewood, St Mary (until 1539: then to Aldeburgh)   O  
Hacheston, All Saints     Loes
Heveningham, St Margaret   D  
Hollesley, All Saints     Wilford
Iken, St Botolph   O  
Kelsale, St Mary & St Peter   D  
Knodishall, St Lawrence   D  
Laxfield, All Saints     Hoxne
Leiston cum Sizewell, St Margaret   D  
Lt Glemham, St Andrew   O  
Marlesford, St Andrew     Loes
Middleton cum Fordley, Holy Trinity   D  
Orford, St Bartholomew   O  
Parham, St Mary     Loes
Peasenhall, St Michael   D  
Rendham, St Michael   O  
Rendlesham, St Gregory the Great     Loes
Saxmundham, St John the Baptist   O  
Saxtead, All Saints     Hoxne
Sibton, St Peter   D  
Sizewell (see Leiston)   D  
Snape, St John the Baptist   O  
Sternfield, St Mary Magdalene   O  
Stratford St Andrew, St Andrew   O  
Sudbourne, All Saints   O  
Sutton, All Saints     Wilford
Sweffling, St Mary   O  
Theberton, St Peter   D  
Tunstall (with Dunningworth), St Michael   O  
Wantisden, St John   O  
Westleton, St Peter   D  
Yoxford, St Peter   D  
       
nearby: Blythburgh, Holy Trinity   D  
Wickham Market, All Saints     Loes

 

⚓︎ In the Anglo-Saxon period, Dunwich was the capital of the Kingdom of the East Angles, an international port similar in size to C14th London, with eight churches, but its decline began in 1286-87 with a series of storms, and it was eventually reduced by abandonment and coastal erosion to the village it is today.  Its history means that it is our only community where BMD records survive for more than one ecclesiastical Parish, namely All Saints, St James and St Peter.

Other Suffolk churches can be googled with the place name, "church", and maybe "Suffolk" — or, better still, visit the probably unsurpassed Suffolk Churches website (which happens to include modern, Roman Catholic and non-conformist churches too).  There is also a full list by medieval church-name — for example, over 140 Suffolk place names are listed against St Mary! — on page 78 of the SFHS magazine "Suffolk Roots: August 1994", of which we hold a printed copy (Index reference-ID "SKRO0T948"), and which members of the Suffolk Family History Society can also view online in their Members' area

Apart from in the north-eastern area around Lowestoft, CofE/Anglican Churches in Suffolk are in The Church of England Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich.

By using our website you are consenting to our use of cookies.